Old December 21st 05, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default HDD Compatibility

"Samik R" wrote in message
On 12/20/2005 6:17 PM, DaveW wrote:
The BIOS in the motherboard of your older computer will NOT be able to
recognize a drive as large as 250 GB. You are probably limited to a 10
GB harddrive, unless you can find a BIOS update for your motherboard that
allows a somewhat larger than 10 GB drive.

Thanks Dave and Conor. So to take care of the BIOS problem, I have to
essentially find out the brand of motherboard, go to the website and see
if they have any updates which take cares of this issue. Am I right?

Yes

For 48-bit LBA, google search lead me to http://www.48bitlba.com/, which
says that it depends on the OS etc. I was planning to run XP Home w/ SP2,
so the problem might be taken care of.
Am I missing something?

The BIOS needs to 'see' it before the OS. If you don't update the BIOS or if
there is not any to be had, You may not be able to use the entire drive size
or it won't be seen by the OS at all.

--
Please reply to the newsgroup.
To mail me directly, replace 'K' with 'e'.