Old December 21st 05, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default HDD Compatibility

On 12/20/2005 6:17 PM, DaveW wrote:
The BIOS in the motherboard of your older computer will NOT be able to
recognize a drive as large as 250 GB. You are probably limited to a 10 GB
harddrive, unless you can find a BIOS update for your motherboard that
allows a somewhat larger than 10 GB drive.

Thanks Dave and Conor. So to take care of the BIOS problem, I have to essentially find out the brand of motherboard, go to the website and see if they have any updates which take cares of this issue. Am I right?
For 48-bit LBA, google search lead me to http://www.48bitlba.com/, which says that it depends on the OS etc. I was planning to run XP Home w/ SP2, so the problem might be taken care of.
Am I missing something?
--
Please reply to the newsgroup.
To mail me directly, replace 'K' with 'e'.