Old December 11th 04, 09:49 AM
Wes Newell

"Robert S" wrote in message
m...
I have a machine with a GA-K8N motherboard and AMD-64 3000+ processor,
running as a unattended server. Over the last couple of weeks it has
unexpectedly powered down, always in the middle of the afternoon.
There have been no messages in the system log.

I bought it at the local computer fair - which always makes one
suspect the quality of the components.

Its just getting into the Aussie summer and we've had a bit of a
heatwave and I wonder if it is related to overheating of either the
CPU or the motherboard. The internal fans seem to be working OK.

Are there heating issues with this motherboard or processor?

I don't know. What do your temps show in the hot afternoon?

If there is no resolution I might be forced to replace the CPU or the
motherboard on spec. Would it be a good bet that the problem's with
the motherboard, or should I replace the AMD fan with a third party
one?

The AMD cooler is ok as long as the system is kept in a controlled
environment, but if the room is getting over 30C you might want to remove
the side cover as case temps may be reaching 40C and above which really
puts a strain on any cooler to keep the cpu cool. If heat isn't the
problem I'd suspect power or ram. Lower the ram bus to 166MHz and see if
that fixes it. PSU could be overheating and failing also.