Old December 1st 04, 08:47 PM
Robert S

Default AMD-64 3000 + GA-K8N. Unexpected power-downs

I have a machine with a GA-K8N motherboard and AMD-64 3000+ processor,
running as a unattended server. Over the last couple of weeks it has
unexpectedly powered down, always in the middle of the afternoon.
There have been no messages in the system log.

I bought it at the local computer fair - which always makes one
suspect the quality of the components.

Its just getting into the Aussie summer and we've had a bit of a
heatwave and I wonder if it is related to overheating of either the
CPU or the motherboard. The internal fans seem to be working OK.

Are there heating issues with this motherboard or processor?

If there is no resolution I might be forced to replace the CPU or the
motherboard on spec. Would it be a good bet that the problem's with
the motherboard, or should I replace the AMD fan with a third party
one?

TIA.