Old August 28th 03, 05:12 PM
kony

On 28 Aug 2003 02:57:28 -0700, (Kris) wrote:

"Mike Mastro" wrote in message . net...
Your problem most likely lies within the density of the memory chips on the
actual DIMM. First of all, you are correct that each slot will only take
256MB modules. So, right there you know you aren't going to use all of the
512MB stick. However, the density of the actual chips also makes a
difference. Either way, if you want to make sure to get the correct
memory, Crucial has a motherboard selector (
www.crucial.com) which they
guarantee so that you buy the correct memory.

Thanks for this link, but I already searched a lot of sites to find
info about my mobo, but (as on crucial.com) it is not listed anymore.
How can I find out information on the density of my memory and about
the maximum density supported by my mobo? Are there any tools?

The memory density support is determined by the northbridge. The
Apollo133 your board has is different from the Apollo Pro133A, in that
it only supports low-density, 256MB per slot. The correct 256MB
modules your motherboard can use would have 16 chips, 8 per side.
There was a short period when PC133 memory was sold in this
configuration but mostly today you'll find these sold as PC100, often
listed as "16x8", not "32x4". These modules can be near twice as
expensive and are getting harder and harder to find... it might be as
time & cost effective to replace the motherboard, or depending on the
CPU & the use of the system, maybe even the whole set,
CPU/Motherboard/Memory replacement.

Dave