Old November 20th 20, 05:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Bob F

Default Is cable both power and data?

On 11/18/2020 8:33 AM, micky wrote:
I have a Y-shaped USB cable, 18" long, with type A at one end and the
two previously most common mini's at the other end, the one that used to
be used for cell phones and the other slightly bigger one.

All 3 ends have the USB logo in the plastic.

Doesn't that mean it's both power and data?

If it were power only, it should not have the logo, right?

Yet when I plug one end into the computer and another end into a Harmony
remote control, I get no beeps from the computer. So that means the
cable is defective, right?

I've had it for years, but I guess I've never used it except for
charging things.

Just get a straight USB cable with the proper ends. When I used to go to
thrift shops, they had lots of them.

Bet you will like that remote. I love mine.