Old January 19th 04, 06:02 PM
Halfgaar

V W Wall wrote:

Ralph is correct about this. The "low level format" programs available
from most drive maker's web sites are really "zero write" programs. They
may be useful in some cases, but are not a real low level format which
can only be done at the creation of the disk's original configuration.

The old drives used a stepper motor, and a true low level format was
available, often originated with debug. This re-wrote the sector IDs
and tracks to correspond with the position the heads were placed in by the
stepper actuator. This changed with wear, so a low level format was
often needed. Modern drives use "voice coil" actuators, and the
head position is controlled by a servo track on the platter(s).

With the number of tracks per inch now in use, (Your Seagate 120GB drive
has 94,600 tracks per inch.), a stepper head positioning mechanism would
not be possible.

Cool stuff, I didn't know that.

BTW, do you also know how these voice coil actuators are able to position
the heads so precisely?

--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.