Old May 9th 17, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default The emergency I need help with

I was given a 5Tb external drive that cause the machine to lock up.
The woman who brought it to me is running Win10

Normally I remove the drives and install them internally to see if the
drive is good or if the enclosure simply has bad electronics.

Though I confirmed the enclosure is bad by trying it with a known good
drive...it seems the 5TB drive is corrupted.

It does not come up in Explorer and disk management "wants" to
initialize it which will desultory all data.

From a Google search I see there are utilities to repair the MBR but
since it's 5TB I assume it's GPT.

I advised her to take it to a data recovery outfit but am wondering if
there is anything safe I can try?

I am pretty sure I'm going to wash my hands of the matter