Old July 2nd 08, 10:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Dell Dimension 4550 can't boot off of USB drive.

I created boot floppy on my SanDisk Cruzer 1G USB with the HP Drive
Key Boot Utility. It's an image of a regular 98se boot floppy from
bootdisk.com. It works on everything but my Dells. When I boot my Dell
Dimension 4550 it says

Disk I/O error
Replace the disk, and press any key

There is a setting called Hard-Disk Drive Sequence that says
1 USB Device
2 System BIOS boot devices

I have that set on 1

Then there is a Boot Sequence setting that has

1 IDE CD-ROM Device
2 Hard Disk Drive C:
3 Floppy device (not installed)

I've tried many permutatons of these settings and I still can't get it
to boot. I've flashed the newest BIOS A08 and still no joy.

I've downloaded PenDrive Linux and that boots fine.