Old June 13th 21, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smellcoming from heatsink on north bridge chip ?

Hello,

Original reaction of me after consulting wikipedia:

NOW AFTER CONSULTING WIKIPEDIA I COME TO THE FOLLOWING CONCLUSION:

OK MY INITIAL SUSPICION SEEMS TO BE CORRECT, EXCEPT I MIS-IDENTIFIED
THE CHIP INVOLVED.

IT'S NOT THE NORTHBRIDGE CHIP, THIS CHIP IS NOW INTEGRATED INTO THE CPU
ON SOCKET 939 CPUs.

I CONSULTED THE WINFAST MOTHERBOARD MANUAL, IT IDENTIFIES THIS CHIP AS
NFORCE4-SLI.

THIS VERY CHIP IS NOW COMPLETELY OVERHEATING AFTER USING IT TO PLAY ON
TWO PCI EXPRESS CONTROLLERS: ONE FOR GRAPHICS, ONE FOR USB PORTABLE
HARDDISK.

I BELIEVE THIS CHIP IS NOW IN A MELT-DOWN PROCESS, IT FRIED ITSELF TO
PIECES.

I CONSIDER THIS HARD PROOF THAT NVIDIA SOLD A CHIP WHICH SIMPLY
OVERHEATS DURING SLI-USAGE.

IF THIS CAN BE PROVEN AND THEN NVIDIA SHOULD STILL AFTER 15 YEARS BE
TAKING TO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR SELLING OVERHEATING CHIPS, WHICH IT
MUST HAVE KNOWN IF IT TESTED IT PROPERLY AND IT SURE DID BECAUSE
PLUGGING INTO TWO GRAPHICS CARDS IS NOT THAT HARD, SURELY THE PLAYED
SLI-GRAPHICS ENABLED GAMES !!!!!

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO RE-PRODUCE THESE STEPS IS:

1. BUY 7900 GTX GRAPHICS CARDS, I STILL HAVE TWO IN CASE YOU ARE
INTERESTED IN A LAW SUIT. IN CAN SELL THESE GRAPHICS CARD TO YOU, OR
YOU CAN BUY SIMPLY ANY GRAPHICS CARDS FOR PCI EXPRESS.

2. BUY A SOCKET 939-SLI MOTHERBOARD, FOR NOW I HAVE A SPARE ONE LOL,
BUT IF YOU CAN FIND ONE AFTER MARKET/RE-SALE THAT MIGHT DO TOO. JUST
MAKE SURE IT WAS NEVER USED FOR SLI.

3. THEN PROPERLY TEST THE SLI SETUP ON A MAXING OUT SYSTEM FOR
PRO-LONGED PERIOD OF TIME.

4. THEN OBSERVE IF THE NFORCE4-SLI CHIP BURNS ITSELF TO PIECES OR
STARTS FRIEING THE MOTHERBOARD AND PRODUCING BAD SMELL.

IF SO:

5. TAPE IT ON VIDEO TAPE, HAVE WITNESSES, AND TAKE NVIDIA TO COURT AND
DEMAND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF DAMAGES AND SIMPLY
BAD-PRODUCT SALES AND MIS ADVERTISING AND SO FORTH, YOU KNOW THE
DRILL....

I DONT LIKE CHEATERS, SELLING OVERHEATING HARDWARE THAT DOESN'T WORK.

EVEN WITH A TINY ****TY LITTLE FAN INSIDE OF IT, MY BET IS IT WILL
****ING OVERHEAT, ONE WAY OR THE OTHER, TURBULENCE, DUST BUILD UP OR
SIMPLY INSUFFICIENT AIRFLOW FROM TINY LITTLE FAN OR SIMPLY FAN FAILURE
TO SPIN UP LOL LIKE IT WAS IN MY CASE LOL.

THIS SHEDS SERIOUS DOUBTS ON NVIDIA HARDWARE. NVIDIA MUST COME CLEAN TO
RE-BUILD TRUST.

OTHERWISE THEY MIGHT BE BANNED FROM MY NEXT SUPER DREAMPC BUILD, YOU
HAVE BEEN WARNED.

BYE,
SKYBUCK.

Perhaps a fan might have saved it, fortunately I have
backup-motherboard LOL.

And I will try and find/purchase a temperature meter and then finally
the thruth will come out one way or the other ! =D

Special reaction for you Paul:

You failed to recgonize there is no northbridge chip on my
motherboard/computer lol, it was just a vague hunch of what might be
wrong and a possibly description of what might be wrong.

So my posting has some merit but the chip was mis identified.

I now do believe the chip is NFORCE4-SLI that is what the manual says,
and there might be something wrong with it as DESIGNED and after 15
years there is now a possibility to get to the bottom of this !

What I need is a temperature measuring device that can measure up to 100
to 150 degree celcius.

Then I can/must be able to hold it against the heatsink and then see on
the new/backup motherboard if it indeed gets super hot when two pci
express cards are used.

I am now using claws mail to communicate with you but holy **** is it
annoying, show red text and difficulty setting up news, this program
wants me to make a mail account first, holy **** and I just typed some
shortcut pop-up screen what the **** lol software developers these
days... **** em... anyway...

I finally had enough of google groups limiting me in the number of
messages I can send to investigate and report about these kinds of
problems... so I give this free newsreader and free server a try...

holy**** now this editor is lagging too holy ****...

Goodbye for now,
Consider this a first test message too ! =D
Bye,
Skybuck =D