Old July 2nd 19, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

MaxTheFast wrote:
Sorry Paul for my misunderstanding but I'm newbie and my english is bad. As I said time before I had already tried to set all the 6 mobo's sata ports with "hot plug" enabled but I still had no success, I mean I had tried to connect the fantec to each one of the 6 ports. As I already said the fantec power supply works because the fantec is properly recognized if connected via usb cable.
Due to that I thought it was the fantec's esata port the faulty because my mobo would work properly, I mean sata ports can be set that way ("hot plug"), and you said esata a sata signals are the same.

So if it's not the enclosure's esata port broken and the mobo works properly, what's the faulty, maybe this brand new esata-sata cable? Or maybe the fantec's power supply doesn't work and all the energy to boot and run an Ubuntu OS from the fantec was taken only from the usb3 port? Do you think it could be possible?

The enclosure should have automatic selection
of interface. I doubt it has a switch to select
one or the other.

Only one data cable type should be connected
at a time, to prevent "confusing" the enclosure.

Don't wire up both the USB cable and the ESATA
cable at the same time.

The ESATA port could be off an entirely different
chip, than the six ports on the Southbridge. Make
sure you're programming the correct chip.

My Test Machine has six SATA ports off an Intel Southbridge,
plus *two* ESATA ports coming off an Asmedia chip. So the
hot plug I'd want in my case, would be for those two
separate ports. Make sure, if a chip other than the
Southbridge is used, that the storage chip has a driver
and that Device Manager looks reasonably clean.

Paul