Old February 5th 05, 10:24 AM
BananaOfTheNight

could/would someone kindly look at the SATA pins where the SATA connector goes
and tell me if the pins are all the same lenght or are some shorter than
others??

They are designed so that some pins are longer than others - the ground
wires (and possibly power as well, but I don't know). This is just like
USB - so that you can hot-plug a SATA device. I haven't tried it yet
(don't want to risk killing a 200 gig Seagate), but hot-plugging was
designed into the SATA interface right from the start.

Also from what I've seen, SATA connectors aren't held in as strongly as
I would like - they seem to always be a couple of degrees away from
flat. It's quite easy to knock a SATA plug out, but since it was
designed to be that way, there's no cause to worry. If you knocked a
standard IDE/ATA cable out, then that's a whole different story...