Old January 10th 13, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

Default Need Advice to Replace GeForce 7950GTOC With a DirectX11 Nvidia Card

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul
posted on Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:03:50 -0500 the following:

Steps I'd do if changing cards.

1) 7950 in place.
Go to Add/Remove.
Remove driver.
Shutdown.
2) Change cards.
Install the 650.
3) Start system.
System comes up in 800x600 and 16 colors.
Install a recent NVidia driver which supports 650.
Test.

And vice-versa when going back to the 7950. Give the
driver the chance to optimize settings for the newly
installed card.

Yes, I did install different drivers. In fact, I had to download a
different driver for each card. The driver I downloaded for the 650 would
not recognize the 7950 GTOC. Are you saying that the 650 SHOULD be better
than the 7950 GTOC? I know we've talked about this before, but if the 650
should be better in general, I might keep it. I'll see if Flash is in
hardware or software mode and I'll retest the 650 to see if it changes
anything. If it is a better performer, I'd be happy to keep it, though I
wish it had DirectX 11.1 support, and not just DirectX 11.

I've already boxed the new card back up in preparation for a refund or
store credit, though depending on what hardware issue is causing these
reboots, I may need that money for RMAs. I'm glad I have 30 days for
exchanges. Tracking this problem down has been difficult and I'm not done
yet.

I think I've ruled out the UPS. I kept the monitor connected to the UPS
because I was too lazy to unplug the other stuff plugged into it to just
hook everything to a regular surge protector to see if it makes a
difference having nothing at all hooked to the UPS. I'm just afraid these
sudden reboots, if caused by power problems, are going to damage
everything I've just bought. I can't take that. I'm about to have a
stroke over this because I simply can't afford to replace all this if some
faulty equipment that isn't new fries everything else I have. And I'm
just trying to get it up and stable I can try to earn some money writing.
Then computer problems won't be so stressful. lol If I had the available
cash, I wouldn't mind just replacing everything that's questionable.

Damaeus