Old June 23rd 03, 11:51 PM
Seņor Apellido

Default ASUS A7N8X SATA data corruption - Silicon Image 3112 - Serial ATA- BSOD

Hardwa ASUS A7N8X Motherboard (1004 Bios), Seagate 80GB SATA Hard
Drive, high quality ram, case, ps.

OS: Windows XP Pro (1.0.0.22 SiI3112A SATA drivers)

Problem: Hard drive data corruption (NTFS boot drive).

Symptoms: Windows XP Pro reboots during bootup sequence. Drive will
cause any computer that attempts to read from partition to crash.
Recovery Console BSOD with a STOP 0x00000024.

My Theory: Bad SATA drivers or bad SATA controller (SiI3112A).

Solution: Swap motherboard and SATA drive with IDE drive. The
motherboard (except for SATA drivers) might have been fine, but ASUS
does not provide enough information to determine this.

Notes: Corrupt (primary) partition was lost. Seagate's bootable utility
cd exits to a DOS prompt after loading SATA drivers, so you can delete
the bad partition using fdisk. Do not try to get partition information
of bad parition using fdisk (http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/). After
bad partition was deleted, drive was recognized and accessible as a
second disk.

NTFSDOS can be used to access an NTFS partition from DOS
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../NTFSDOS.shtml).

Conclusion: This is the first problem I have had with ASUS, and I might
buy another motherboard from them. I would never purchase another
product that includes hardware or software from Silicon Image.