Old January 18th 04, 06:01 PM
Robert

Well, being that it is locked, I would have to look toward a new
motherboard... :-(
On the other hand, I am running 2000mhz and would be happy with a nice 2200
mhz at 200mhz bus. Its just a nice round number
and feels neat to have essentially transformed a 2500 into a 3200 with the
flick of a switch...

Then I start thinking, after all the hastle of reinstalling Windows to get
an extra 200mhz, I wonder if its worth it? At best, the 10% clock incease
will be maybe 8% in overall performance increase. I don't know if I would
notice the increase in performance.

Also, I would be royally ****ed if I only got to say 2100mhz..

What really annoys me is why AMD started the same intel crap of locking
their cpu's. It would have beed so much easier just to bump up the
multiplier.

"S.Heenan" wrote in message
Robert wrote:
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Have you been successfull at overclocking a multiplier-locked Barton
2500 from 166 x11 to 200 x 11? Is that to ambititious of me?

I'm thinking that if I can't get this 1833mhz processor up to at least
2100mhz and beyond, then it's not worth the upgrade. Currently I am
at 180fsb which gives me 1980 mhz.

I just bought the Barton cpu so I don't want to get rid of it just
yet.

If your processor is unlocked, you stand a decent chance of 12x180 or
2160MHz which is roughly XP 3200+ speed. It sounds like your CPU is

locked,
so ~ 1980MHz may be as good as it gets on your Gigabyte GA-7VAX. From
personal experience with locked and unlocked Barton 2500's, I'd say you

have
a 90% chance of 2200MHz on a nForce2 board with standard voltages and
settings. Add 50 or 75mV Vcore and all Barton 2500+ models I've used are
stable. My definition of stable includes 24-48 hours of Prime95 without a
single error.