Old September 26th 04, 10:24 PM
Seaking

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:30:38 GMT, "peter" wrote:

case I dont like some part of the new ones.
Tell me about the SATA problem
willing to help

Lock and load as this SATA prob is a bit involved so let me start with
the basics.. it's a bit of a story..

I bought a Samsung SATA HDD (120G) to mount in my system as a storage
drive. I got it installed and seen by the system, up to the point of
being formatted and the system locked up.. after that, anytime I boot
up with the drive installed I go through endless error loops where the
system access the drive.. silent.. access.. silent.. access... and
on.. and on...

System is the mobo Rev2 and at the time, was BIOS 1003 now it's 1008,
and now all the drivers are updated with the latest which didn't help.
I have 1 HDD on each mobo Pri and the DVD burner on IDE2. On the
Promise ATA100 card in a PCI slot I have two other HDD storage drives,
and on a promise ATA66 I have a DVD reader.. (this is all a throw back
from old days where best action comes from single units per channel,
right or wrong, this is how I normaly do it). The SATA drive was
installed and the jumper moved to ENABLE and while it worked OK the
first time, it doesn't on this mobo now.

The hard drive was taken to a pal's house, installed in his system as
a storage drive and it works great! But install it in mine and it's
all duff..

For all intended purposes, it would be as if this mobo remembers this
particular HDD as being duff and won't talk to it and goes into
conniptions. I have another drive coming in to test to see if the
system will see it or not.

How does this sound so far? You can email me if you wish at seaking at
eastlink.ca

Thanks in advance!