Old June 1st 20, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default I think it's a bad on/off switch, how can I tell?

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 09:13:03 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

My computer won't restart after a local power failure last night. Our
neignborhood lost power for 7 hours, but the computer was on a UPS
when we lost power. I shut it down with the power switch , but after
power was restored, it wouldn't start. I thought perhaps the PS was
fried in spite of the UPS because when the power went out, it didn't
go out all at once, it "flickered, that is, on and off rapidly for
several seconds. Anyway, I installed a old PS that I had used in
another computer, but no effect. Now I'm suspecting the on/off switch
on the case. There are 4 wires from the switch to a pin set on the MB,
red, black, white, and green. Can someone tell me if it's possible for
me to short two (?) of these wires to bypass the on/off switch, and
thus see if indeed it's just a bad switch? And it that's the case, a
way to simply bypass the case switch and get back in operation?

OK, I found out that it's just a bad power switch by unplugging the
switch wiring from the MB and shorting two of the pins on the MB, and
the computer starts up (on the bench, disconnected from everything).
so now I'm going to try simply adding an external momentary switch,
hoping that will do the trick.