Old August 18th 05, 02:46 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Having had a quick look in the server it would appear they are 50ns
DIMMs and all of the old ones are 60ns. The new DIMMs are installed in
accordance with the guide on the case (2 in the mainboard and 2 in the
daughter board). Previously I had all 12 slots filled with 32Mb DIMMs
so I now have 12 x 32Mb DIMMs, incidentally what memory does the cache
on the Smart SL2 controller take? Mine is reporting 6Mb memory which I
assume is 2Mb onboard and 4Mb in the slot. I'm assuming this isn't an
EDO DIMM by any chance?

Regards,
Jason.

---

Hello Jason,

dont bother trying to change out the memory stick on the 2SL.

I once tried to put a 32M stick in there, and the card was still able to
recognise only 6MB. Im afraid you are stuck with 6MB

SA (smart array) controllers are getting so cheap now, you might want to
just pickup a 3200 for $15. That way you can have up to 56M of cache which
is battery backed. which means that you can turn on acceleration, which isnt
really available on the 2SL because it lacks the battery backed write cache.

- LC