Old August 18th 05, 08:58 AM
Jason Arthurs

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:08:20 -0500, "NuTCrAcKeR"
wrote:

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
roups.com...
Nutcracker seems to have a real knack for determining the specs, of
discreet Compaq components, using only the nine digit Compaq part
number (xxxxxx-xxx). See if you can post these numbers from the old and
new sticks, and maybe he can tell you the speed difference.

You are right, though...the system will only run as fast as the slowest
component.

To be honest, I have never really tested my systems for RAM speed. What
is this "Memtest86" that you are referring to? Tell me where to get it
and I will try to give you some speed comparison with my machines.

Jeff

What does your memory population look like? There are 4 slots on the
systemboard, and 8 slots in the riser card. There is a preferred population
order in which to add sticks to the system to gain maximum memory I/O. This
is due to the bank interleaving. and I believe that the proper order is on
the big huge sticker under the cover of the server. Lots of interesting
tidbits there.

The easiest way to determine if there are any real differences in the chips
is to look at them. The only discernable difference will be if the end in
a -5 or a -6. The -5 will be a 50ns refresh rate, while the -6 will be 60ns.

I dont know if that could truley account for a 7MB/s difference in memory
I/O speeds. Honestly, that is negligable when dealing with a system that
"should" be doing around 380MB/s, maybe a touch more.

Thats about all i can think of right now. Let me know if you have any other
questions.

Having had a quick look in the server it would appear they are 50ns
DIMMs and all of the old ones are 60ns. The new DIMMs are installed in
accordance with the guide on the case (2 in the mainboard and 2 in the
daughter board). Previously I had all 12 slots filled with 32Mb DIMMs
so I now have 12 x 32Mb DIMMs, incidentally what memory does the cache
on the Smart SL2 controller take? Mine is reporting 6Mb memory which I
assume is 2Mb onboard and 4Mb in the slot. I'm assuming this isn't an
EDO DIMM by any chance?

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.