Old August 16th 05, 09:14 PM
Jason Arthurs

On 16 Aug 2005 12:00:43 -0700, "Jeffrey Alsip"
wrote:

Nutcracker seems to have a real knack for determining the specs, of
discreet Compaq components, using only the nine digit Compaq part
number (xxxxxx-xxx). See if you can post these numbers from the old and
new sticks, and maybe he can tell you the speed difference.

You are right, though...the system will only run as fast as the slowest
component.

To be honest, I have never really tested my systems for RAM speed. What
is this "Memtest86" that you are referring to? Tell me where to get it
and I will try to give you some speed comparison with my machines.

www.memtest86.com a handy utility for checking all those dusty old
SIMMs and DIMMs that turn up in the bottom of boxes.

I've got the boot CD which comes in handy for testing RAM on all sorts
of machines. I actually downloaded it because I thought I had a memory
fault on my desktop but the RAM has checked out OK. It appears it is
just 'that time again' where XP builds up a layer of crud in
inappropriate places and starts going flakey.

I'm very seriously considering going to Linux for my desktop and just
keeping my old laptop running XP for client support purposes. Also I'd
have nothing to sync my iPAQ with if I went entirely to Linux.

Just to keep on topic, my Proliant 3000 is going to take a l-o-n-g
time to run memtest on 1Gb of EDO, it's taken 2hrs to get to 45%. I
hate to think how long it will take to check 3Gb. It's does however
reassuringly say that all of the 1024Mb is cached so the PII 333MHz is
working fine on this old 66MHz mainboard.

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.