Old June 22nd 07, 12:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default Need help with an Armada M700 laptop

Robert - also see these links I posted in another M700 question over in
alt.computer:
message title =

Compaq Armada m700 keyboard problem

there is a 'keypad mode' that you have selected
( is the num lock light ON ? - middle of the 5 leds)
page 32 of THIS manual

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...168893-001.pdf

" To disable the embedded numeric keypad-Press Fn+Num Lk. "

They have all m700 manuals online - you might want to download them and
save to the pc.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=96235

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi folks,

My other laptop, captioned above crashed, and now all I get is the boot
up processing looping. As soon as the line of bars fills out, to where
Windows would show, it goes back to the initial boot up screen.

F8 doesn't work, as soon as I select any of the options - of Safe -
Safe w/networking and so on, it boots up and then it starts looping
again.

Any other suggestions before I have to take it to the shop and spend
$$$?

TIA

Did you reseat the disk / memory before getting into other things ?
If that didn;t no any good, AND if you DO need the data : buy a
'notebook to full size IDE cable" adapter ( just some pins bent to
insert into each each item - about $5 at a computer store ) , remove the
disk and using that adapter connect it to a desktop PC as a second disk.
Save your data to the desktop PC, then wipe/reformat/restore the laptop
disk from your last backup ( you DID do that right ? )

The hard drive is under the touchpad. To remove it:
POWER OFF and REMOVE THE BATTERY.
1. Tilt the computer at an angle so the bottom front of the computer is
accessible
2 If the hard drive has been secured in the hard drive bay with a
security screw , remove the screw .
TURN IT to keyboard up / normal position
3. Push down on the hard drive bezel on the front of the hard drive (
left of headphone jack)
4. Lift the bezel up 90 degrees to create a handle . Pull the hard drive
out of the hard drive bay.

If you have no need of the data on there.... it seems that windows is
hosed/bad memory or bad spot on the drive. Do you have the m700 restore
CD's ? If so, I 'd fdisk it first (or run some other disk utility to
test for /identify bad sectors), then reformat, then restore the drive.
If you don't have the restore CD's you can get the specific drivers from
compaq.com and put them on a CD . Then install windows from CD and have
the driver CD nearby to insert as needed.