Old September 25th 03, 12:12 AM
kony

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:16:11 +0100, Robert wrote:

In message , Brian Jones
writes
Antec case - the sonata - great design, sideways mounted hard drives
on rubber mounts do indeed cut down on drive noise

Front of case has poor ventilation, but they are on the right track by
using a 120mm fan. Look inside a Mac G5 to see it done right. I would
rather mod my Antec 1080 to be silent than buy the Sonata as my
current case has much better ventilation and no front case door
getting in the way.

Agreed, the intake is too small but it is simple to modify - detach the
lower front plastic bezel and using a small hand saw or jigsaw it is a
few minutes work to double the size of the aperture and, as it is on the
underside of the bezel, this is hidden from view. This does make
sufficient a difference to the airflow to reduce the temperature of the
adjacent HDDs by 3-4C.

You're right, but on the other hand, if the case is going to be
modified anyway, there's less and less reason to pay a premium for it.
For example, I just overhauled an old HP case, fitted it with 120mm
rear and 172mm front fan, total cost of the fans was more than the
case.

Dave

Dave