Old July 15th 03, 03:17 AM
W????n S.

"Derek Wildstar" wrote in message
news:XfFQa.53859$GL4.13940@rwcrnsc53...

"Roger" wrote in message
I have done some experimenting and have found out that by uninstalling

the
latest Creative Audigy2 drivers and then installing just the drivers

(didn't
install anything else except the base drivers) that came on the Audigy2
installation cdrom you can run any version of the Nvidia drivers and not

get
any stuttering sound on boot up. I was getting a bit of stuttering

engine
sound when driving tanks in BF:1942 but that has gone too now. I guess

new
is not always better and it looks to me like both Nvidia and Creative

are
trying to tweak the last drop of performance out of their cards to the

point
that they are causing bus hogging issues.

Old Creative drivers + New Nvidia drivers = good

This is a well understood phenomenon, but no one wants to do anything

about
it. Typically, the problem was the creative drivers not releasing the bus

in
time for the hungry 255clk appetite of the GeForces.

Barring any emergency surgery by Creative (don't hold your breath), you

must
tweak your PCI bus specifically for your exact needs and configuration,

yes
it's a major pain in the ass, but it's the only way to get near perfect
operation.

Best way to do that, is as others have posted, is primarily to knock out

any
TSR that you absolutley do not need to run on start up. Almost all

Creative
TSP's are crap and eligible for deletetion, also make sure your chipset
level drivers are up to speed. Many of the 4-1's have specificfixes for

this
issue.

Lastly, set up your BIOS to treat the PCI bus with kid gloves, a 32clk
minimum is a good setting for a modern robust PC that has these issues.
Good luck, this is a complex issue that has no one exacting solution. I'm
glad you found something that seems to work for you, most don't.

Force IRQ Priority
This is a tweak that falls into the category of imperceptible, but some may
find it useful if a hardware device is being a bit of a laggard. This tweak
can be applied to multiple IRQs and the best use you could make of it is to
try to improve the performance of devices that share an IRQ over non-shared
IRQs.

The effect of this change is to improve the performance of devices on the
nominated IRQ. It is often used to boost the performance of the System
CMOS/real time clock, normally residing on IRQ8.

To change the priority of a different IRQ, replace 8 in IRQ8Priority with
the appropriate IRQ number. To change the priority of additional devices,
simply add appropriate keys.

Start regedit and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\PriorityControl]

Create the new entry, save the changes and reboot;

"IRQ8Priority"=dword:0000001

If you are not certain that the System CMOS/real time clock resides on IRQ8
on your system, check it by selecting the properties of System CMOS/real
time clock in Device Manager.

Thx to Kadaitcha Man...................