Old May 9th 08, 08:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
[email protected]

Default Summer will bring a GPU war

On May 8, 8:02 pm, "Zootal" wrote:
See wat? All hype !

ATI and Nvidia have turned into just like Intel or Microsoft.

Before they release anything, way, way before they're ready, they
hyped up the market to the point of no return. When everyone and their
grandmother start to believe in the hype, they release yet-another
junk.

What ATI and Nvidia ought to do is to release the full specs so that
people can start coding in it, using whatever language people are
familiar with.

With all those power in the GPU and no one except for the game /
simulation people can tap into, what's the damn use?

The gpu is a highly specialized processor with a high level of paralellism,
and because of that it's best at certain types of processing, not general
purpose processing like you use your general purpose cpu such as phenom,
core, pentium, etc. For those that know how the gpu works and understand how
to harness that power, it's fantastic.

If you had access to that "power", what would you use it for?

I'm not your garden-style programmer, I program DSP, embedded system,
microcode and such. I know what I am talking about.

The Stream processors are just that, processors. They may have special-
built features, but they are processors nevertheless.

The problem today is neither Nvidia nor ATI would release the specs to
their processors, like Intel and AMD releasing their processor specs
to the programming communities.

If they release the specs, then the programming communities would know
HOW TO TAP INTO the raw power of those processors.

Parallel processing isn't a new thing btw. We have had these for over
20 years.

The unfortunate thing is too many people such as you have been
brainwashed by the hype and lies of Nvidia / ATI to believe that "Oh,
it's parallel processing, that means it must be EXTRA-ORDINARILY
SPECIAL, that the thing must only be used for special purpose, that
this .... that that ... whatever ... and in the meantime, ATI and
Nvidia are laughing their ass off, because there are people OUT THERE
actually telling others that NOT RELEASING THE SPECS of the GPU is
the RIGHT THING TO DO !!!

People must realize that we are paying our hard earned money on the
GPU, and we need to be able to have the ability to program it.

Just like owning a car. We ought to have the ability to tune it, if we
want to.

Right now, if we take GPU as cars ... it's like we buy a car with the
hood glued shut, that we, the driver/owner of the vehicle, are NOT
ALLOWED to open the hood to check what's inside.

Don't you think it's kinda ridiculous, my friend ??