Old March 11th 18, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Upgrading graphic card for Dell Optiplex 7010 mini tower runningWindows 7 64 bit

On 2/25/2018 5:19 PM, Paul wrote:
t wrote:

Your advice and guidance is highly appreciated.

So what have you decided to do ?

Get the
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvi...lack/5711723.p
as it was cheaper than 1060

Thanks for all your advice!

The 1060 comes closest to providing a seamless
solution, only using say two-slots of card width
for its heatsink. And the user should never be aware
they're in panorama mode, windows slide from one monitor
to the next seamlessly.

If I decided to not use NVidia Surround, I might
try a couple 1030 cards. But they're still two-slot
due to their heatsinks - I haven't seen thin versions
of those cards. They're the new "low end", and supposed
to be a bit faster than chipset graphics. One of the
consequences of trying to stay away from the performance
level of chipset graphics, is the cards have to be
a bit more powerful than in the past.

There might not be room in the computer for two cards
like that.

If I was doing what you're doing, "monitoring boilers
on my home computer" on three monitors, I might use
a 1030 for two monitors, and one of these for the
third monitor.

This one is VGA.

https://www.startech.com/AV/USB-Vide...ter~USB32VGAES

"This USB video adapter uses a Trigger family chipset.
If you’re connecting this device to a computer along
with additional USB video adapters or docking stations,
please avoid using devices with a DisplayLink or Fresco
family chipset."

This one is HDMI.

https://www.startech.com/AV/USB-Vide...pter~USB32HDES

"This USB video adapter uses a Trigger family chipset.
If you’re connecting this device to a computer along
with additional USB video adapters or docking stations,
please avoid using devices with a DisplayLink or Fresco
family chipset."

There's even one that supports 4K monitors (the horror!).
And it really doesn't cost any extra. Read the reviews
to determine if this level of aggravation is worth it.

"VANTEC NBV-400HU3 USB 3.0 to 4K HDMI Display Adapter DisplayLink
Certified "

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16812232062

http://www.vantecusa.com/products_de...name=USB#tab-2

Back when the USB3 generation came out, the word was
"those almost work without using compression". Back
in the USB2 era of DisplayLink, the pixels were severely
compressed. (Even a slide show was a slide show.) Displaying
boiler status would work OK. Trying to watch Netflix on
that screen, not so much. The USB3 version is getting
close to being able to run Netflix without an issue.
If you don't have "real" USB3 ports, then YMMV.

If you're adding USB3 to an existing computer, buy a
USB3.1 Rev2 card (with 10Gbit/sec capability). The idea
is, you don't run it at 10Gbit/sec! The reason for doing it,
is the chip for the 10Gbit/sec version has two PCI Express
lanes (x2 wiring) and you may notice the card has an x4
connector on it. What it is supposed to buy you, is full rate
regular USB3 (i.e. no compromise 5Gbit/sec operation).
One of these days when I get a chance, I plan on locating
one and testing this. As I have a USB3 to SATA adapter
that isn't running full speed (only runs half speed).

Paul