Old October 9th 03, 08:22 PM
Wayne Morgan

Default SCSI Card error in WinXP

I am getting the following error in the event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: aic78xx
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11
Date: 10/9/2003
Time: 2:04:05 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DAD
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\aic78xx1.

Data:
0000: 0f 00 10 00 01 00 68 00 ......h.
0008: 00 00 00 00 0b 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 50 50 00 c1 00 00 00 00 PP.Á....
0018: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 ........

I have tried replacing the AHA-2930CU card with an AHA-2940UW card and get the same error.
I have tried changing drives and cables, it doesn't help. If I use a different brand,
cheap SCSI card everything works ok. I've verified termination (I've tried both Active and
Passive) and have tried setting the termination on the SCSI card between Terminated and
Auto.

The drives (CD, DVD, CDRW) attached to the card work, but are very slow to initialize when
I put a disk in. With the non-Adaptec card they work fine. They used to work fine with the
2930 card, so I'm guessing I've messed something up in Windows (since both the 2930 and
2940 cards are having the same problem I doubt that the card itself is the problem), but I
don't know what I may have done. Everything else is working properly. The 2930 card was
working properly before I added an IDE DVD-RW and IDE Zip 100 drive, but I don't know why
adding those would mess up the SCSI card.

--
Wayne Morgan