Old August 19th 03, 02:01 AM
Aragorn

Jim Turner wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:03:40 -0400, Aragorn
wrote:

Aragorn wrote:

Hi,

I am considering buying the Athlon XP 1700. I plan to use this in a
Linux system. AMD has said (on its website) that the XP processor is
tailored for Windows XP. What does that mean?. Does it mean that I am
better of buying ThunderBird (cheaper too) or a Duron?.

Aragorn.

Follow up to my own post.
Are the accessories that come with the CPU worth the cost: extra arctic
compound, cpu shim, case fans, volcano cooling fan...

Aragorn

Are you going to be overclocking? If not forget artic silver, volcano
fans, etc.. An extra case fan can be useful no matter what the
processor as many power supplies don't really move much air with
their fans. Shims, in my experiance, are an attempt to take advantage
of clumsy installers, as they don't help with a properly installed
heatsink.

If you want a stable system, all you need is the stock heat sink/fan
combination, and maybe an extra case fan if you load the system up
with drives and a fast video card.

I might overclock but not now, sometime in the future maybe. I'll get
those fans then.