Old January 10th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Default Rebuilding a Dell 2300 ... keeps shutting down during Windows installation

If the heat sink retention module is damaged, remove it and replace it with a
good one. Then get the right heat sink for a Dell 2300/2350/2400 (and other
models of Dell towers)... Ben Myers

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:20:10 GMT, "System 4" wrote:

Jay B:

The first think I noted was that the heat sink retention module was damaged.
So I opted to open case the install so I could at least get the first drive
loaded with the OS.
The hard drives are new 80gb Barracudas.
The power supplies are Kingwin 4 fan 450w (new)
You may be right ... the cpu could be reading hot even thought shroud is
off.
I never thought that would be an issue.
Is there anyway of getting this thing up and running without a heat sink, or
the shroud?
I've bench built several systems this way ...

Thanks

"Jay B" wrote in message
sounds like overheating due to heatsink not tightly attached to cpu.
watche the lights in the back, do they all turn solid green
beforecrashing? what are the lights in the back after the system
crashes? could also be bad hard drive driver loaded.
did you try safe mode?

System 4 wrote:
Anyone:

I just broke down my 2300 Dimension.
Pulled the old hard drive. (nothing important there, crashed anyway)
Replaced the power supply with a 450w (new)
Installed 2 new Seagate hard drives and a new dvd rom.
To start, I setup only the master drive to load the OS (Windows 2000

pro) as
well as the floppy, and the original cd / rw
During the initial stage of loading the OS, the system shuts down as

soon as
it gets to "Loading Windows".
Exchanged the power supply with new ones ... 3 times!
Same issue.

Jumped the CMOS ... (again) and started over.
Checked the CMOS and set the 1.8 cpu to clock at 10 (default, I think)
No other changes were made.
I'm stumped

Anybody got any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks...