Old April 23rd 04, 01:12 PM
sooky grumper

sooky grumper wrote:

I wouldn't use it for anything.

this sentence was incomplete: should have read ...for anything you might
ever want to save.

The components, though they may be
working now, probably have a significantly reduced lifespan. Also, I
doubt you have the time or resources to really have a good check of the
components (neither would I). Don't sell it, it's damaged goods. Give it
away if you don't want it. Who knows what the person will actually be
using it for. A critical component that was there during the lightning
strike could end up dying the night before a job interview and they lose
their resume or some such. Personally, I'd try and run some very basic
diagnostics/testing software (memtest86, the HDD manufacturer's testing
software, etc) and use it as something to play around with, as you've
already suggested. Anything that'll fry the mobo will have done some
degree of damage to the other components.