Old January 13th 04, 09:12 AM
Troy

I have teac burners that have duplicated many thousands of CDs each over the
last 3 years.They are in duplication towers and ar worked hard almost every
day with no problems.

I don't know much about mitsumi but I do know that those old 4X and 8X
Yamaha burners (that were suppost to be the best) were CRAP.

Your problem may be with cooling.You need to keep the burners cool for long
burning sessions.Maybe you might want to consider an external writer next
time.It may help.

Also dust and smoking can cause problems to.

Good Luck
Troy

farqua wrote in message
news
I was wondering what sort of life expectancy one can reasonable expect
from an ide cd burner. I am on my second cd burner, a Mitsumi 40-24-48
burner. After 6 months and perhaps 200 cd's burned, it is failing. I can
only burn smaller iso's (under 500mb) as anything bigger will cause an
error. It also wont read files beyond a certain point. My first cd burner
(a Yamaha 8-4-24) developed the same problem but it seemed to go away
after a while. This problem appears to be mechanical and appeared after
being left idle several months. Eventually, the problem went away
(something loosened up in the drive?). With the Mitsumi, I have had it in
constant use (not necessarily daily) and never had an extended period of
non-use.

After perhaps 400 cd's burned, the Yamaha burner was toast, no longer even
recognized by the controller. I must say the Mitsumi is a major
disappointment, but even the Yamaha seems like it should have had a longer
life.