Old April 29th 17, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Diesel[_2_]

Default I've a pain in the between a plus

Flasherly
Fri, 28 Apr 2017
13:35:00 GMT in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, wrote:

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 00:41:48 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Can I ask why you're an AMD fan vs an Intel, or both?

Used to AMD or Cyrix or Texas Instruments. Having held a grudge
against Intel from how they positioned pricing on a 386 (two or
maybe four years) until alternatives arrived for EMS. That
changed, after a decade more, when came back again to buy Intel's
Duron (an early single core P4 model), which Intel positioned with
my name on it for a budget price in direct line of competition
with AMD offerings. (I'd since have again drifted away from Intel
were it not for an exceptional value on used Ebay microprocessor
pulls;...a tentative realization for a limited time that has since
changed into something else: Dollar cost averaging for GHz
flipflops on newer used microprocessors is a costlier affair, at
least the quad market.)

AMD built the Duron. It was a stripped down Athlon. You're thinking
of the Intel Celeron; aka, the celery stick.

I've got experience with Texas Instruments 486 clone as well as Cyrix
486clone, the DLC40. For comparison purposes, a 386DX40 would kick
their asses. It was much more like running a 486SX25/33 performance
wise, and, not completely following the Intel x86 code specification
either, so you could run into an occasional problem when using them,
ie: non functional software.

All of that AMD icing for juggling around would melt down to next
to nothing in the present Intel camp, where I'd be looking at
dualcores for that kind of money.

I've got a couple of dualcores here, and one Intel Quadcore. There's
just no comparison between the two, performance wise. The quad isn't
even a desktop cpu, it's for laptops. I really *like* it.

Not to mention its a bit of a stretch on my imagination regarding
exactly what in the hell am I going to do eight cores. Least to
mention...down to the bottom of the chart for model 8320E,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors
265-watts draw in a "scorch" test with all cores stressed (and
overclocked?, which it also does like a scalded dog). Must be
I''ve mellowed down into more a cool-and-quiet guy. ;

A snappy machine, running a pile of smaller apps and/or video
encoding/major digital photographic work. Not even including gaming
performance. If you're into gaming. I'm not, myself.