Old April 28th 17, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default I've a pain in the between a plus

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 00:41:48 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Can I ask why you're an AMD fan vs an Intel, or both?

Used to AMD or Cyrix or Texas Instruments. Having held a grudge
against Intel from how they positioned pricing on a 386 (two or maybe
four years) until alternatives arrived for EMS. That changed, after a
decade more, when came back again to buy Intel's Duron (an early
single core P4 model), which Intel positioned with my name on it for a
budget price in direct line of competition with AMD offerings. (I'd
since have again drifted away from Intel were it not for an
exceptional value on used Ebay microprocessor pulls;...a tentative
realization for a limited time that has since changed into something
else: Dollar cost averaging for GHz flipflops on newer used
microprocessors is a costlier affair, at least the quad market.)

Intel's hyperthreading presently holds domination, as usual, over the
quadcore market, as pricing is apt to reflect. AMD is also offset and
skewed: its quadcores are overpriced comparatively to their FX series
Vishnu technology 8-core processing -- recently market value shifts
due to the release of Ryzen AMD4 models.

Paying $30 for the AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.2 GHz Quad-Core HD9550WCJ4BGH
means, for small-fry money, basically I either spend twice over again
to get a rough 2x-4x performance improvement with a stopover AMD3+
used quad (not by my standards cheap). Necessitating a MB rebuild is
as much to any further allure, than altogether dispensing with mincing
with another quadcore and stepping over into the "wild side" with an
FX octal core, (E series lower energy draw), also very well positioned
and discounted because of Ryzen marketing dynamics.

All of that AMD icing for juggling around would melt down to next to
nothing in the present Intel camp, where I'd be looking at dualcores
for that kind of money.

Not to mention its a bit of a stretch on my imagination regarding
exactly what in the hell am I going to do eight cores. Least to
mention...down to the bottom of the chart for model 8320E,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors
265-watts draw in a "scorch" test with all cores stressed (and
overclocked?, which it also does like a scalded dog). Must be I''ve
mellowed down into more a cool-and-quiet guy. ;