Old November 13th 03, 03:27 AM
Timmy

"Erick" wrote in message

"Whelan" wrote in message
Is the Centrino the smart choice for all of us who are buying a laptop

these
days?
Does it make a laptop purchased today with an older processor obsolete
before its time?

Or is it just appropriate for the Mobile segment of the market, not the
Desktop Replacement segment?

[snip]

What is a smart purchase today?
Nan

I would have to say for longevity and battery life... go with the

Pentium-M
(or Centrino if it includes Intel's WiFi chipset). Personally, I wouldn't
tie myself to the internal WiFi as I like to keep my options open, and
Centrino WiFi does not have 802.11g yet.

Erick
--
http://www.gadtronics.com

I agree. I just got an 8600 and the battery life is good compared to other
laptops I have used in the past. PC and Powerbooks. My 1.7Ghz is pretty
fast, but I actually think my Gateway 2Ghz Pentium 4 desktop with a little
less memory is a little faster. It's close anyway. Long battery life is
great to have and you can put a couple of batteries in the 8600s and really
go for a long time. Dell's customer service has plummeted in the past few
years however. If they spent more on customer service than on those stupid
commercials they run on TV incessantly, they would probably have a fatter
bottom line and happier customers.