Old November 13th 03, 03:17 AM
Andrew

In comp.sys.laptops Erick wrote:
: I would have to say for longevity and battery life... go with the Pentium-M
: (or Centrino if it includes Intel's WiFi chipset). Personally, I wouldn't
: tie myself to the internal WiFi as I like to keep my options open, and
: Centrino WiFi does not have 802.11g yet.

Nothing wrong with an Internal WiFi card; the Centrino wireless card
currently is just an Intel Pro/2100 wireless card plugged into the
mini-PCI slot. My Toshiba 1415 (not a Centrino) has the same slot,
which is very simple to get to (one screw on the bottom opens the
compartment), and I installed the WiFi card myself. Connecting the
internal antenna was the hardest part; disconnecting it would be the
hardest part of replacing my 802.11b card later with an 802.11g card.
As I understand it, a Centrino laptop would be similar.

It's really nice not having the WiFi card sticking out the side of the
laptop!

Andrew
--
---- Portland, Oregon, USA ----