Old October 6th 03, 09:19 AM
Euc1id

There is not enough information to diagnose your problem. Again I suggest...
To check your virtual memory settings, goto:

Control Panel, System, Advanced tab, Performance - Settings button, Advanced
tab, Virtual Memory - Change button

If the amount of allocated virtual memory is too small, then you can have a
problem. You should usually select and Set the "System managed size" radio
button at that location, then there shouldn't be a major problem.

Otherwise, the easiest solution might be to do a System Recovery if you have
a restore point before the problem started. If that doesn't fix it, and if
it is a serious problem (?), then you should consider reformatting the hard
drive and reinstalling the operating system. You will need a set of recovery
CDs to do that. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it is probably faulty
hardware, perhaps a hard drive problem.

Good luck!
--
Euc1id

"casdon" wrote in message
om...
| I ran the Belarc Advisor program and this is what it said I have the
| following I have a 2.5 ghz Intel Celeron, 8 kilobyte primary memory
| cache,128 kilobyte secondary memory cache,248 Megabytes Installed
| Memory, Slot J5G3 has 256 MB, Slot J5G2 is empty.I had no sofware
| running when this msg came up other them I was trying to get on the
| net.I hope this is helpful for you in help me with this problem and
| I'm very glad that you are trying to help me.CASDON
|

| "Euc1id" wrote in message
link.net...
| Installed memory (RAM) is physical memory, strips of memory plugged into
| your motherboard. Typically you would have an amount such as 64MB,
128MB,
| 256MB, 512MB, or whatever. Consult the specifications for your computer.
Or
| download and run this Belarc Advisor utility which will provide some
basic
| information about your computer:
| http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
|
| What does it say about your installed RAM (memory)? If it is 128MB or
less,
| then that may be the cause of your problem. You may need to plug in more
RAM
| to your motherboard. But if it is 256MB or more, then you probably
shouldn't
| have that kind of problem.
|
| What software titles are your running when you get the error message
about
| virtual memory? What are their names?
|
| There can be a limit to how much software you can run simultaneously
| (multitask). Eventually the processor will get overworked and the system
| will get sluggish, perhaps producing messages such as you obtained. With
my
| computer I can run up to about 20-25 different software applications
| simultaneously before that happens, but it is different with each
computer.
| Your practical limit might be 10 programs, or whatever, depending on
what
| they are.
|
| Virtual memory requires some hard drive space. So if you don't have much
| free hard drive space, you need to make some. Get rid of software and
data
| that you don't need or use.
|
| To check your virtual memory settings, goto: Control Panel, System,
| tab, Performance - Settings button, Advanced tab, Virtual Memory -
Change
| button
| If the amount of allocated virtual memory is too small, then you can
have a
| problem such as you experienced. You should usually select and Set the
| "System managed size" radio button at that location, then there
shouldn't be
| a major problem.
| --
| Euc1id
|

| "casdon" wrote in message
| m...
| I'm not really sure where I should look,I looked at the VT and the
| recommended
| is 369MB and it is up to the 370MB I pretty sure that is not the
| installed memory it has a 2.5 Gz if that is any help,as for the
| software it is what came with the computer WinXP Home Edition ,I have
| not installed any other software.Thank you in advance for your
| help.Casdon
|
| "Euc1id" wrote in message
| link.net...
| There are several possible causes, and several possible ways to
correct
| the
| problem. First the cause must be diagnosed. To do that requires
quite a
| bit
| of information about your computer, and what software you are
running.
| If
| your computer is still under warranty, you would do well to ask
Compaq
| tech
| support for help.
|
| In a nutshell, assuming there isn't some kind of serious software or
| hardware malfunction, the usual reason is that you don't have enough
| memory
| installed to handle the software you are running. So adding more
memory
| has
| a good chance of helping, if you only have a small amount of memory
| installed now.
|
| How much installed memory do you have?
| What software are you running?
| --
| Euc1id
|

| "casdon" wrote in message
| m...
| I have a Compaq Presario s4000nx-cel and I get msgs about low
virtual
| memory and I have not install any software any hints/ answers as
| how to correct this and has anyone else run into this
problem?.Casdon