Old February 19th 04, 08:58 PM
PBM

After all this time I finally found the solution. Netmetting has a
conflict with the 5x.xx series drivers. I stoped and disabled the
netmetting service "mnmdd" and now everything is fine.

Hope this helps someone else....

Paul

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:08:09 GMT, PBM wrote:

Has anyone else seen this problem?

I cannot get any of the new 5x.xx series drivers to show the Nvidia
control panel in Display/Settings/Advanced. The Nvidia tab is always
missing. Returning to the old 4x series drivers will have the Nvidia
tab present.

System.
Windows XP Pro SP1.
P4 2.8
Geforce 5900
Dual Monitors. 1 Analog. 1 Digital

Drivers Attempted 52.16, 53.03, 56.55

Driver Install Methods Attempted.

1. Remove old driver from add remove. Reboot. Cancel Auto Install.
Install using setup.exe in the driver folder.

2. Remove old driver from add remove. Reboot to safe mode. Cancel Auto
Install. Run Driver Cleaner to remove old files. Manualy went through
registry to removed all references to the nvidia drivers. Reboot to
normal mode. Canceled Auto Install. Install using setup.exe in the
driver folder.

3. Remove old driver from add remove. Reboot. Let the Auto Install
complete.

4. Installed while the old driver was still in place.

5. Installed using 'Update Driver' from deviced mangager.

6. Repeated all of the above install variations with the second
monitor disabled and disconnected from the system.

My main login account has administrator priviliages. I also tried
doing the above installs from the main Administrator account.

All of these methods ended with the same result. No way to ever see
the advanced settings in the Nvidia Control panel. The Nvidia Media
Center Icon also never appears in the task tray. I have checked the
regitstry and it is set to auto load at startup. Manualy running it
from the command line does nothing with no error messages.

All attemts with driver versions below 5x.xx have been successful,
this is the first time I have ever had problems getting one of there
drivers in since my first g3.

Other symptoms.
1. The very first time I installed 52.16 I was able to get the
advanced settings one time by disabling my second monitor. I then went
into the nvidia advanced settings and tried reenabling the second
monitor in there. The Advanced settings crashed out and I have never
seen them since with the 5x.xx series drivers.

I have a second system with a g4-4400 that took the upgrade from the
4x drivers to the 5x drivers without a hitch. I also tried putting
that box back to the 4x drivers and then added a second monitor to it
for a test. I then put it back to the 5x drivers with the second
monitor in Dual View mode (same as problem system) and it installed
just fine and the Advanced settings are there.

I have been fighting this thing for weeks now. Any Ideas?

TIA

Paul