Old July 11th 04, 10:59 PM
ChrisH

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:19:55 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
wrote:

Can you use both together? How many drives? Are the drives
interchangeable?

Relevance?

....being what's the ****ing point in having two different RAID systems
operating at once in one PC?

If the raid card fails you can just replace it.

HUH, and a serial port or a parallel port or USB or firewire or sound HUH!

You miss the point - it happens. It happened to my board. It happened
to others.

Also, the BIOS support on the mobbo version is usually a cut-down
version of the full implementaion on the card.

That's false.

No it isn't

So it is with Promise.

No, there's no significant cut-down.

Yes there is. 4 drive RAID 0 is impossible for one thing. There are
plenty of sites offering the full Promise BIOS. Look around.

Yes, you can hack the mobbo BIOS but it's not a lot of fun.

RAID 1 is just a lazy way to maintain a continuous backup, using Drive
Image or Ghost onto external media would be an acceptable substitute.

No, RAID 1 does better than that as multitasked reads have near double

the
performance of a single drive.

I think you forgot to add the word 'potentially', in real terms you
get nowhere near double performance.

Wrong, in intense multitasked small record random I/O one gets near exactly
double the throughput.

Yeah, right. Well obviously you're a ****wit so this conversation
ends. Plonk.