Old July 11th 04, 09:06 PM
Ron Reaugh

"ChrisH" wrote in message
On 11 Jul 2004 09:02:19 -0700, (Will) wrote:

My own take on this is that using the implemetation of RAID on a
motherboard is not the way to go.

Huh, it's often the best way to go and there are two RAID 0 options on the
P4C800-E Dlx: Promise and ICH5R.

My advice, for what it's worth, is that if you really want to use RAID
then get a decent controller - forget the MB implementation.

There's no significant HW difference between mobo RAID and addon PCI card
firmware RAID. Both work very well.

However,
much depends on how you propose to use your PC. If it doesn't bother
you to lose all the data on the array (perhaps just using it as
temporary work drives for video encoding) then a RAID 0 is fine. If
you need both RAID and security you will want to go RAID 0+1

Usually RAID 5 and a hardware RAID addon PCI card is the better option here.

and
therefore use at least 4 drives. I wouldn't bother with RAID 0 with
only two drives and the array as the boot device.

RAID 1 is just a lazy way to maintain a continuous backup, using Drive
Image or Ghost onto external media would be an acceptable substitute.

No, RAID 1 does better than that as multitasked reads have near double the
performance of a single drive.