Old April 24th 04, 10:20 PM
Homie

Bottom posting corrected (most people start reading at the top of a page, it aint 1987
anymore, welcome to the 21st century).
" Intel is so far behind AMD these days "
Where do people come up with such bull****?
AMD just discovered thermal protection, (Intel has been doing it for years)
AMD cores are made of delicate material that cracks & destroys the core with the
slightest pressure imbalance. (Intel cores are hard to crack, never the less Intel
CPU's will continue to function with cracks in the material)
Intel will RMA a defective CPU for 3 years without problem, I have a stack of 18 AMD
CPU's that are dead, AMD won't do a ****ing thing about it because I don't have the
receipts... I guess AMD doesn't consider the date code as anything important.?
Just try and get AMD factory support on their "Mobile CPU's" ...... I won't tell you
what happens, just call AMD and say you have a Mobile /Laptop CPU and need support...
Then post back here and tell us how great AMD is

Homie

Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com

"Rob Stow" wrote in message
Jim in Canada wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message

Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

... it would do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
the MOBO is designed for ?
My mobo has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my P4s rating is 800Mhz.
I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps,
to 'pull down' the P4's capability and cause it to be under-utilised?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
thnx

[Top posting corrected.]
Depends on the motherboard. Some will not recognize it and will not boot up
at all.

It could depend on the cpu too. I have, for example, twice run
into 333 MHz FSB Barton core Athlons that would not work in a
266 MHz motherboard. Both times, just putting in a different
cpu of the exact same model/speed fixed the problem.

Intel is so far behind AMD these days that it has been a while
since I wasted time on P4s, but perhaps others have had similar
experiences with P4s ? If you have the kind of money needed
for a fast P4 you would be better off switching to AMD64 - at
least until Intel manages to catch up, possibly by this time
next year.