Old October 10th 18, 09:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Nuts are for new computers

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 01:02:03 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

You must mean "Nuts for new computers"? As in nuts and bolts.

But new PC sales are up, after years of being flat or down, so perhaps
the original title is apt.

-
Nope, nuts as in unexpected or unplanned situations: My backup
computer, so I'd assumed, wasn't up to meeting a minimum degree of
performance I expect out of a workstation. Which so happens to also
be my minimum level of competence.

The "nuts" part is having to "go to it", rather through it -- getting
the backup up and running as close to a duplicate of the last failed
computer, only to find I was again at Square One.

In essence, one week of backup preparation, to realize an order out
for new MB/CPU/MEM, one week shipping wait, a day off, and a couple
more then to put this one together.

Of course everything isn't the same. I ran with that last computer
for nearly 10 years until it failed due to a storm lightning strike.

What if after 10 years somebody yanked the rug from under your
feet...I can tell you that: Bear with it, don't get too complacent,
and don't forget to grin;- that's just how it is with life. Nuts
always were meant to break.

(PC sales need be up. If everyone by now had bought into "Your Great
Grandson's Computer", a PC Revolution reducible to handheld cloud
services, I'd have had instead to pay out the yinyang on niche parts,
instead of the $120 it cost me to effectively run an octal-core in the
present situation. Being parts more than reasonable, for probably the
direct equivalent of $500 to be situated in some place like Brazil,
which heavily taxes its citizenry on import goods.

Of course the same rumors are still around, since the 80's and
monopolistic court cases involving MSFT, only now, so it goes, you
can't buy a computer and run that same 1980 software without exclusive
rights from Windows 10, or so it goes with hardware considerations,
Intel, and to a lesser extent, the AMD Ryzen.)