Old February 27th 17, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Black[_2_]

Default MS Mouse Replacement

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, Bill wrote:

SC Tom wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
news
SC Tom wrote:
Well, I found one I like. It's a Logitech M705:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TG75EG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The few times I've tried wireless mice, I experienced "lag" so I've stuck
with corded mice.
It's been a few years. Are corded mice faster (to an amount someone could
discern?).
Thanks,
Bill

I've never noticed any lag, even when play an FPS game, but then it's been
years since I've used a corded mouse.
Some mice have a "sleep" feature to help extend battery life; I find that
annoying.

Yes, I went and did some "research" after I made my post. The sleep feature
was mentioned. Another concern (to me) would be the compatibility of the
mouse with Linux, or during a new installation of Windows. I don't think I'm
going to give up my cord just yet.

I just bought a Logitech trackball, and I can't believe it's wireless.
It's not like the trackball is moving all over the place, so the cord gets
in the way.

But I think at this point things have settled down. It's not like in the
old days when mice had all kinds of interfaces, so it might not all work
with Linux. Now, mice are either USB or PS/2 (and some do both) so I
suspect things have become standard. I found at a garage sale a keyboard
that was like a laptop keyboard, complete with a touch screen and that
gizmo between the keys, and I just plugged it into my linux machine, and
it worked with no configuration needed.

I suspect at best you might have to do something to account for any
buttons beyond the standard 3. I have a fancy Logitech mouse, and I have
yet to use of the two extra buttons on the side.

I just plugged in the "unifying receiver", and the Linux I'm using, which
is a few years old, recognizes it. I turn on the trackball, and right
away I can control things, no configuration needed.

So I suspect there's no issue using them with Linux.

Michael