Old September 25th 05, 04:55 PM
Yousuf Khan

Anders Bang wrote:
Now, let me try and drag this discussion back onto the track. The important
part here is to try and find a CPU with a heat dissipation and power usage
as low as possible but powerful enough to be the center of a HTPC that is
going to be on 24 / 7 / 365. Now, the Turion being a CPU designed for mobile
computing sounded like a CPU that will fulfill these needs...? The reason
that I am so concerned about the power concumption / heat dissipation is
that the HTPC will obviously be idle a most of the time and therefore it
would be nice for it to use a whole lot of power while idle. Also, a low
heat dissipation would reduce the need for noisy fans in the case.

All of the AMD processors have a power saving mode, called PowerNow! in
laptops and Cool'N'Quiet in desktops. All of these processors will run
at pretty much the same power consumption rate at idle. The difference
between Turion and the others is that it's highest power consumption
won't exceed 35W (ML series) or 25W (MT series). But at idle they may
all be running at something like 8W.

There are Turion-based laptops being sold as Media Centre PCs nowadays.

Yousuf Khan