Old July 15th 03, 10:20 PM
Shepİ

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:03:29 -0700, In this world we created Peter
Parker wrote :

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:28:23 GMT, "Derek Wildstar"
wrote:

This is a well understood phenomenon, but no one wants to do anything about
it. Typically, the problem was the creative drivers not releasing the bus in
time for the hungry 255clk appetite of the GeForces.

Barring any emergency surgery by Creative (don't hold your breath), you must
tweak your PCI bus specifically for your exact needs and configuration, yes
it's a major pain in the ass, but it's the only way to get near perfect
operation.

Best way to do that, is as others have posted, is primarily to knock out any
TSR that you absolutley do not need to run on start up. Almost all Creative
TSP's are crap and eligible for deletetion, also make sure your chipset
level drivers are up to speed. Many of the 4-1's have specificfixes for this
issue.

Lastly, set up your BIOS to treat the PCI bus with kid gloves, a 32clk
minimum is a good setting for a modern robust PC that has these issues.
Good luck, this is a complex issue that has no one exacting solution. I'm
glad you found something that seems to work for you, most don't.

OK, I was wrong about the soundcard drivers because once I installed
powerstrip and had it autoload at bootup the stuttering came back. I
had installed the audigy2 drivers with just the core drivers and
nohing else so nothing else was loading at bootup. I played around
with the PCI settings in PS and it made no difference. Went and
downloaded latest beta drivers (44.90) from guru3d and the problem was
gone. This is a problem inherent in certain Nvidia drivers and nothing
to do with PCI latency settings. It's seems like Nvidia has fixed it
in the latest drivers though. But, after all that, I've decideed to
just go with my old faithfuls the 30.82 drivers for Win98SE and XP.
Never had a problem with those drivers in anything and they are fast
enough for me.

The old 30.82 were a good set for me in win98SE with the my old G3
Ti200.The 43.45_win9x_english.exe
don't seem to give me any problems that,"Rivatuner" can't fix,
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
and I think Rivatuner does a better job than,"Powerstrip" and causes
no problems and actually fixes them.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,