Old September 19th 04, 09:48 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Leythos" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
The Promise chip on the mobo is nothing more than a fancy ATA

controller
chip with NO significant RAID functionality on it. All on mobo

Promise RAID
is firmware/software in x86 code hosted by the host's x86 CPU.

I would be interested in seeing where you get this information from. In
reviewing the Promise RAID 0/1 controller on the motherboard of the ASUS
PC-DL Deluxe board, I've only seen that the "driver" is a stub that
allows the OS to recognise the controller (much like the SCSI RAID
Controllers that we use in HP or Compaq servers).

Still waiting on a reply for where you're getting the idea that ALL
motherboard based RAID is as you describe.

It's well known for mobo [S]ATA RAID. Ask anyone that knows about such.

As I've seen it, there are
several good RAID implementations of onboard SATA RAID and SCSI RAID
controllers and many bad implementations,

Some onmobo SCSI RAID maybe HW but that requires an add-on card.

but I've not found one that
requires the driver to make two writes, that's built into the chipset
firware

Nope, not for [S]ATA.

(as it is in a off-board scsi card).