Old May 10th 04, 12:09 PM
Skybuck Flying

Default fx 5200 sweet deal but will it work ?

Hi,

My short story/question is:

Is FX5200 AGP 8x backwards compatible with AGP 4x ?

My long story/question is:

I have a Pentium III 450 mhz and 256 mb ram.

Motherboard is asus P3V4X ( AGP 4X ).

The video card was TNT2 32 mb ram.

The problem was that the video card had a cooling fan.

The cooling fan attracted ASSLOADS of DUST !

The cooling fan was making a very annoying sound.

First I blowed many times to blow off the dust.

I reinstalled it the sound got worse...

I decide to run cold water over it to clean away the dust. ( now black paint
stuff leaking from it )

I also tried to open the cooling fan... but one screw was jammed I could not
open it.

Damn, I wanted to re-oil it

I let the card dry... I placed it back into my computer after 2 hours of
drying.

I wondered what would happen... it worked but some lines were blinking.

So I knew something was wrong but I didn't care.

I knew the card was probably still wet and would probably die if I started a
heavy gpu intensive application.

So I then started a 3D game to see what would happen it started blinking
even more.

Then during loading of the game the computer crashed/rebooted.

From that point on it seemed the card had died !

The computer made one long beep and three short beeps indicating bad video
card memory or video card not found.

I could not see anything... I could only hold the power button for a few
seconds to reboot the computer...

But holding the power button is dangerous... that's how I fried my last
gigabyte motherboard... stupid power button switches !

Then after accidently rebooting a few times my PC made no sound at all so I
got scared and stopped rebooting... I was scarried my harddisk had die or
would die.

So that was a scary moment...

So I assume it is now dead... I am now using a ET6000 card with a special
made windows xp driver.

But I need the ET6000 for my old pentium... it's an PCI card you know... and
my old p166 needs it it doesn't have agp

So I started browsing for a new card... since the TNT2 can no longer play
any new games since it doesn't have T&L.

Also I hate these stupid ****ing fans

So I came across this card which seems the perfect deal for me ! =D

The NVidia GeForce FX 5200.

It doesn't have a stupid ****ing fan ! so that means no dust ! no sound ! no
cleaning ! no oiling ! no nothing ! =D

It also has T&L and probably some other new features =D

The best thing is it is cheap as well and will probably even play doom 3
lol... even if it is a 1 fps per second on my PIII I would still like it
lol.

Anyway maybe I can play homeworld 2 with it or so... I think I could... or
maybe something else

Anyway... I really do need a new card anyway so the cheapest card will do...
but I don't want a TNT2 replacement like the radeon 7000... because that's
lame... So buying a DirectX 9 card seems best... maybe some games aren't
that slow... I see no reason to buy a DX8 card unlesssss...

Anyway.... to make a long story short...

My big doubt is AGP 8x

My computer only supports AGP 4x

Will FX 5200 card still work in my PIII 450 mhz with AGP 4x ?????

( the exact card is: asus v9520 Magic/T )

It even has a video in !!! the 5700 doesn't even have that ?!

( Since a family member if mine has a video thingy she cames around once a
year or so and I would like
to record any video stuff or I am even playing on buying a digital photo (?)
camera... that probably works different or maybe
it needs a video in as well.. I dont know... I played around with a video in
once and it s fun and a must have
once you used it, you just can't go without it.. just in case ! unless it
has some other form of input and a converter plug )

http://www.asus.com/products/vga/v9520m/overview.htm

I am hoping I can buy it for about 90 euro's at a local shop.

It's still quite expensive for just a replacement... my pc is starting to
die... after 6 years of use

I will soon buy a new pc... as soon as doom III is out

But I still want my old pc to work.

In case AGP 8x is not compatible with AGP 4x..

The next cheapest card I can buy as

Sapphire Radeon 7000 agp 4x or pci... for 40 euro's or so.

I haven't really checked it out yet.

The FX 5200 seems the perfect card for me ! =DDDD

Also I like asus

Though I don't like Via chipsets anymore =D

So please enlighten me about this :P =D

Skybuccckkkk

I can also ask the salesman if nobody knows... but I first try this
newsgroup