Old February 21st 06, 12:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware

Default Fixing a USB flash drive

In article ,
David wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:58:43 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
typed furiously:

In article ,
Curious George wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:41:11 -0600, "JFG" wrote:

using XP, I would recommend formatting by going to Start - Settings -
Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk
Management. Right click on the drive in the display window and you'll get
all the format options.

3 faster ways a

1. Right click on the flash drive in Explorer (Windows key + E) or My
Computer (which is explorer) and select format.

2. Windows key + R then enter "diskmgmt.msc" (the same place you
recommended)

Or another alternative way to get to disk management:

3. Right-click on "My Computer" either in Explorer on the desktop in
Windows Classic mode and select "manage" (which is actually
"compmgmt.msc")

Yes, but it my case, Windows reported that the format failed, even with a
quick format. From a DOS window: the vaunted "track 0 or media bad -
format failed". It's going back.

If you are checking for bad sectors why would you try a quick format?
All that does is rewrite the file system data files.

Because the long format failed, and I was trying to do _anything_ that
would produce a file system that would allow the use of other diagnostics.