Old February 18th 06, 02:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware

Default Fixing a USB flash drive

In article tHwJf.474$2c4.31@dukeread11, JFG wrote:

"Mike S." wrote in message

A couple of Christmases ago I was given a 1 GB Lexar Jump Drive. I guess
they were pretty expensive then, as that capacity was relatively new.
Anyway, I've been using it for months without problem, until today when I
started copying a bunch of files that filled it beyond the point where it
had been used previously.

At about 600 MB, it hung with the activity light strobing rapidly, and
eventually produced a "sector not found" and "delayed write failure". I am
aware of USB driver and chipset incomptibility problems that can lead to
this error. Leaving the copied files in place, I ran ScanDisk and Norton
Disk Doctor set to test for bad sectors and to test the unused drive
space. Both of them found no problems.

Later tonight, at home, I tried the same exercise on 2 different machines
having very different architecture, different operating systems and USB
chipsets ... with exactly the same result at the same point. I'm beginning
to believe this is a problem with the flash itself and not a driver or
compatibility issue.

If I delete ~300 MB of files, the drive behaves fine until that empty
space
is again filled, and then it fails just as before. The already-written
contents of the drive are fine, and verify.

I'm inclined to just toss it as prices have come down, and while there is
a 2 year warranty I don't have a receipt and the Lexar website makes it
very clear that it is absolutely, positively required for any warranty
claim.

I was wondering, though, if someone could recommend a (preferably free or
cheap) diagnostic that will write to every unused sector and perhaps map
out the bad ones, the way the old-fashioned disk utilities used to do.

Did you try to reformat the drive? If it's formatted in anything other than
FAT, you might change to FAT. I had many problems with a flash disk I had
formatted in NTFS and when I reformatted in FAT it acted better. If you're
using XP, I would recommend formatting by going to Start - Settings -
Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk
Management. Right click on the drive in the display window and you'll get
all the format options. Of course, save your files before formatting. HTH,

Well ... after posting the above I noticed that Lexar has a 24h online
chat for tech support. The rep had me reformat the drive ... which was
unsuccessful after many attempts; leaving it unformatted. At that point
they issued me an RMA (in spite of lack of proof of purchase) so I will
just go that route. Thanks for the responses!