Old July 6th 03, 02:49 AM
kony

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:45:04 GMT, Cyde Weys
wrote:

The computer isn't much better than last time. I'm running an Asus
A7V8X-X mobo. As soon as I flip the power switch on the ATX PS, the
whole thing turns on (fans start spinning, etc.), which is bad, because
usually the computer waits for me to press the power switch before
turning on. I've reseated the mobo, re-checking the metal stand-offs.
Those are fine. I've reseated the CPU, heatsink, video card, and
memory. Still, nothing at all happens - it doesn't post, and it never
sends a signal to the monitor. I know the CPU works, and the RAM and
mobo are both new. Any clue as to why this computer won't boot at all?
Why it doesn't even recognize the power switch and just goes full-on
immediately? Thanks in advance for the help.

After you flip the PSU's switch and it immediately turns on, does the
bezel soft-on switch allow turning the system off if held in for 0-4
seconds? Have you tried that yet or do you keep turning it on and
off by the PSU switch?

Have you tried removing all components non-essential to POST, leaving
only the CPU, heatsink fan, one memory module, video card, and soft-on
bezel switch? This also means unplugging all other bezel LEDs/reset
switch/etc. Also try resetting the CMOS, double-checking all jumpers.

Are you sure the power supply is adequate? What make/model/capapcity
incl. combined 3V + 5V capacity ? An itemized list of all the
systems major components might help if it's possible this is
power-supply related.

Dave