Old January 8th 04, 12:12 AM
DaveW

Flashing the BIOS with an update is never a sure thing. If it goes wrong
you may be left with an unusable motherboard. Are you OK with this?

--
DaveW

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I have a plain A7v266 MB with a AMD Athlon 1.4GHz CPU.
With plain I mean no A7v266-E or A7v266-MX, just a A7v266.
Now I would like to upgrade my CPU to a Athlon XP (because of the SSE
instruction set) but I'm confused about what I read at Asus' website.
They say:
"A7v266: Socket A for AMDŽ: Athlon / DuronŽ: 550MHz ~ 1.4GHz+ CPU"
So then I would think, no Athlon XP for me.
But when I look at the BIOS updates they say;
"A7V266 BIOS rev 1011 - Support AMD AthlonXP 2600+"
So am I right if I say that I can install a Athlon XP if I make sure I

have
the right BIOS update?
Because I'm a complete moron with this stuff I thought I would ask here.
Also, is there more I should think about if I want to do an upgrade like
this (do's/don'ts)?
Thanks very much for your reply!

--
Bruce