Old February 4th 06, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default VGAsilencerV3 aftermarket cooler for 7800 cards

Before you peel those lil stickers off the heat contact pads, KNOW you will
not want to unstick things later because man they STICK like GLUE. And the
directions that come with the VGAsilencer kinda suck EVEN if you read them,
hehe, because I didn't until it was too late. AND I don't think they took
the exact design of the 7800 GTX in consideration enough when they designed
that V3 of the VGAsilencer. BUT it CAN work very well with little effort if
you are careful. That's why I'm posting this.

Be very careful when you try fitting that heatsink for the chips on the back
of the card and knowing you will be able to screw it down BEFORE you put the
stuff (heatsink & fan) onto the front of the video card because the parts
that go on the back of the card REQUIRE you to use some kind of bolts on the
front for the screws that fasten the back-heatsink (that flatish piece of
metal that really you can probably use the one that came with the card as
they seem very much alike and I'd like to know what type of metal each
[default one from XFX and one that comes with VGA silencer] is) need
something to screw INTO. See, I put the VGAsilencer onto the front of the
card and then got to the back and realized I needed to take the front stuff
off and tried to pull it off and those heat sink pads are like glue! So then
I was afraid I'd pull the chips from the board so I tried those
computer-common screws that typically screw your case door onto your case
(wider than hard drive screws) and LUCKILY they are the perfect size to
screw that back-of-the-video-card heatsink into the video card board
material and HOLD it without needing bolts.

The other thing: The VGASilencer V3 comes with those sticky pads for the
DDR3 RAM lined up in sets of 2 on the VGAsilencer's heatsink for front of
card. Well. You need to remove half of them and use them for the back of the
card. I didn't realize that before I bolted/stuck the VGAsilencer to my 7800
GTX. So. Please don't call me a dumbass, okay? Heh. I'm swallowing my pride
to share this lil mishap so you all don't make the same mistakes I did. See,
my last card was a BFG 6800 GT OC and I had put a VGAsilencer on it and
there was nothing to do with the back of the card so this time around I was
overly confident and just did everything without the directions until I
realized there was stuff to do with the back of the card.

LUCKILY, it's all working ok and nothing is damaged and wow that VGAsilencer
really does drop the deg. C about 8 to 10, which is very nice! And expelling
the warm air out the back of the case is nice, too!

--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE